|Description||F. E. Suire & Co Medicine Bottle recovered from City Centre Plaza, c. 1870-1920. The deep cobalt blue bottle has a short neck that tapers out to cylindrical body. The rim was ground down flat and double ring finish and shows evidence of glass machine manufacture. An impressed banner in the front of bottle outlines the name "F. E. Suire & Co / Cincinnati ". A 1.5 inches short narrow neck flares out 1. inches to a 5.75 inches cylindrical body. The bottle has flat and smooth base.|
|Object Name||Bottle, Medicine|
|Collection||3D - Containers|
|Title||F. E. Suire & Co Medicine Bottle recovered from City Centre Plaza, c. 1870-1920.|
|Creator||F.E. Suire & Co|
|Inscription Text||"F. E. Suire & Co / Cincinnati " (embossed on the shoulder of bottle).|
|Provenance||20 boxes of archaeological material excavated from the City Centre Plaza site at 950 Main at Middlefield in Redwood City. Excavation for development, done by Basin Research Associates.|
Most medicinal bottles also had a narrow neck and mouth (aka bore or throat) since this conformation was most useful for pouring out the typically liquid contents. A narrow neck and bore likely limited evaporation through or around the cork also.
Cylindrical (round in cross-section) bottles were used frequently by druggists to dispense their products, although the other flat paneled shapes also covered in this section appear to have been more popular and more commonly used.
|Dimensions||H-8.5 W-2.625 D-2.625 inches|
City Center Plaza
F. E. Suire & Co