Museum Homepage

The San Mateo County Historical Association
Online Collections Database

The mission of the San Mateo County Historical Association is to inspire wonder and discovery
of the cultural and natural history of San Mateo County.

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2016.026.001B
Description Electron Beam Generator Electrical Panel, c. 1957-1999. This electrical panel is part of the controls for "Beam 1", the first electron beam generator produced by General Electric for the Raychem Corporation. This panel was put together in-house by Raychem staff and used in conjunction with General Electric equipment. "Beam 1" was the first electron beam accelerator ever put into commercial use. The beam was first used by the Raychem Corporation and later by Tyco Electronics when it bought Raychem in 1999. The beam was in operation through 2016.
This panel consists of eleven electrical boxes of various size and color attached to a rectangular piece of wood that is painted dark green. A yellow and red radiation warning sign is attached at top left, which contains the text, "Radiation Monitoring Station." Two of the electrical boxes include: a silver metal box with diagonal blue stripes that is attached at bottom left with "BEAM 1" handwritten on the front in black ink; a large metal box with buttons and knobs attached at lower right with "CAPSTAN / TAKE UP" label at center and a manufacturing label at bottom that reads, "ADVANCE ELECTRIC / …adjustodyne / CONTROL SYSTEMS." The electrical panel was originally supported by a metal stand that was made in-house in the Raychem machine shop.
Object Name Box, Electrical
Collection 3D - Electrical & Magnetic Tools & Equipment
Title Electron Beam Generator Electrical Panel, c. 1957-1999
Date c. 1957-1999
Creator Raychem Corporation, Menlo Park
Role Designer
Inscription Text Multiple inscriptions; prominent inscriptions include: "Radiation Monitoring Station" (on radiation warning sign, top left); "BEAM 1" (handwritten in black ink on box, lower left); "ADVANCE ELECTRIC / anaheim [ae logo] calif. / adjustodyne / CONTROL SYSTEMS." (manufacturing label on box, bottom right).
Provenance Raychem originated in Redwood City at 501 Oakside/Northside and was founded by Paul M. Cook. The wire cable plant remained in Redwood City, but the corporate headquarters relocated to Menlo Park. The company was sold to Tyco in 1999. This console for Beam 1 (the first Electron Beam Accelerator ever put into commercial use) which was still in operation through 2016.
Dimensions H-32.25 W-27.125 D-14.5 inches
Dimension Details 32.25" x 27.125" x 14.5"
Search Terms Business and Industry
Manufacturing
Radiation chemistry
Raychem Corporation
Tyco Electronics
Tyco International Ltd.
Subjects Equipment
Industry
Radiation chemistry