|Description||Radiation Safety Sign, c. 1957-1999. Radiation safety sign used in an electron beam facility at the Raychem Corporation and later Tyco Electronics (Raychem was purchased by Tyco International in 1999). The sign was installed in the "Beam One" area, which continued to be in operation through 2016. The sign consists of a square piece of wood painted with reddish-purple graphics and lettering on a yellow background. A 6" diameter trefoil radiation hazard symbol is painted at upper right. "Radiation" is printed 5.75" down from the top edge of the sign in 2.5" tall letters that span 14" in length. One inch text printed in the lower third of the sign reads, "Beam, badge and / Safety glasses required / in this area." There are smudge marks across the lower half of the sign, and what appears to be a cup stain above the word 'required'.|
|Collection||3D - Visual Communication Tools & Equipment|
|Title||Radiation Safety Sign, c. 1957-1999|
|Inscription Text||"Radiation / Beam badge and / Safety glasses required / in this area" (printed in red on front of sign)|
|Provenance||Raychem originated in Redwood City at 501 Oakside/Northside and was founded by Paul M. Cook. The wire cable plant remained in Redwood City, but the corporate headquarters relocated to Menlo Park. The company was sold to Tyco in 1999. This sign was used in the area of "Beam One" while it was in operation through 2016.|
|Dimensions||H-16 W-16 D-0.25 inches|
Business and Industry
Tyco International Ltd.