|Description||Preserved Food Bottle recovered from City Centre Plaza, c.1900-1920. This bottle is tall and cylindrical. The green bottle has a short neck that tapers out to 9.5 inch cylindrical body. The .5 inch rim was ground down flat and double ring finish and shows evidence of glass machine manufacture. The base of the bottle is concave.|
|Object Name||Jar, Preserving|
|Collection||3D - Food Processing & Prep Tools & Equipment|
|Title||Preserved Food Bottle recovered from City Centre Plaza, c.1900-1920.|
|Provenance||20 boxes of archaeological material excavated from the City Centre Plaza site at 950 Main at Middlefield in Redwood City. Excavation for development, done by Basin Research Associates.|
Glass makers also offered a fairly wide assortment of different cylindrical or round glass vessels designed for bulky food products during the 19th through mid-20th century.
These cylindrical food bottles/jars all share the binding elements of having bodies that are round in cross-section with relatively parallel sides, and like the other general styles had relatively wide mouths (bores) to facilitate the packing and removal of the products contained within. The more or less one quart sized example to the left is quite typical of the cylindrical food bottle type - large bodied, relatively short necked with a wide bore and simple one-part finish, though later machine-made examples (late 1910s and later) had external screw thread finishes. These types of bottles/jars potentially held a wide assortment of variously preserved foods with most of the contents usually dried, pickled (sometimes in alcohol) or cured with later (20th century) more reliably sealing examples sterilized, vacuum or otherwise hermetically (airtight) sealed (Bender 1986). It should be noted that regular canning/fruit jars were often used by commercial food packers to contain and distribute their wares during the last half of the 19th century until well into the 20th century.
|Dimensions||H-11 W-3 D-3 inches|
City Center Plaza