|Description||Raychem Small Coupling Pieces, c. 1957-1999. Two metal alloy pieces. The outer piece (A) is a thicker alloy metal tube. The tube has been cut in half making it a half pipe-shape. On one side the cut is clean and on the other the cut is ragged. The removable interior piece (B) has also been cut to be a half pipe-shape. This half pipe is a thinner metal than the exterior half pipe. The outside is smooth and has a "4" scratched by hand into the center of the metal. On each side an inch long oblong hole is cut. Inside the metal is ribbed on the sides, but smooth in the center. The interior half pipe fits into the exterior half pipe.|
|Collection||3D - Mechanical Tools & Equipment|
|Title||Raychem Small Coupling Pieces, c. 1957-1999|
|Creator||Raychem Corporation, Menlo Park|
|Inscription Text||"4" (scratched by hand onto outside of interior piece).|
"Raychem was founded on January 1, 1957. It grew rapidly by creating proprietary new products based on Radiation processing of polymers to meet critical and difficult industry needs for electrical circuit integrity in harsh environments. Included in these initial products were irradiated wire insulation and heat shrinkable tubing. Markets included Aerospace, Military, Automotive, Telecommunications and Electrical Power Generation markets.
"In 1968, Raychem acquired Chemelex leading Raychem to extend its radiation polymer processing technology to polymers filled with conductive carbon creating a family of "Self Limiting Heaters". This technology was further extended to produce resettable switches forming the enabling technology for the "Polyswitch" Division.
"As Raychem grew into a world class Material Science Company, additional technologies explored, developed and taken to market were Heat Recoverable Metals, Piezoelectric Materials (Elographics), Silicone Gels (Geltek) and Liquid Crystals (Taliq).
"Each year, Raychem devoted between 8 and 10 percent of sales into Research and Development resulting in thousands of new products based on the technologies listed above. Research and Product Development labaratories, in addition to Menlo Park and Redwood City were established in Swindon, UK, Kessel-Lo, Belgium, Ottobrunn, Germany, Pontois, France and Japan.
"Manning these laboratories were an extremely creative and talented group of scientists and engineers who found innovative ways to use technologies to create new products."
|Dimensions||H-1 W-3.5 D-2 inches|