|Description||Mills Memorial Hospital X-Ray Assistant Badge, c. 1964-1971. White rectangular plastic badge with a black plastic inner layer. Top of badge is inscribed with, "CHEREE HETHERSHAW / X-RAY ASSISTANT" so that black lettering shows through. Onto back is glued a silver-colored metal pin for affixing badge to clothing.|
|Object Name||Badge, Identification|
|Collection||3D - Personal Symbols|
|Title||Mills Memorial Hospital X-Ray Assistant Badge, c. 1964-1971|
|Inscription Text||"MILLS / MEMORIAL / HOSPITAL / SAN MATEO / CALIFORNIA" (printed in blue on back); "Universal Match Corp., San Francisco" (printed in blue on small fold); log with letters "M", "M" and "H" and "Close Cover Before Striking" (printed in blue on front flap)|
|Provenance||Cheree Hethershaw was an X-Ray Assistant at Mills Memorial Hospital from 1964 through 1971. Her badge was typical of those produced throughout the hospital at that time.|
"Recognizing the need, heiress and philanthropist Elisabeth Mills Reid – with the rector of the Episcopal Church of St. Matthew, Rev. Neptune Blood William Gallwey, and an ambitious young doctor named W.C. Chidester – pledged funds to build and operate on the Church of St. Matthew property an emergency medical facility that would also house a parish nurse.
"In the mid-1910's, Mrs. Reid was convinced by the Board of Directors that the name of the hospital should be changed to Mills Memorial Hospital, although Mrs. Reid saw to it that Church of St. Matthew preceded the new name.
"1950 Mills Hospital was again expanded, this time with the addition of the West Wing, bringing the total number of beds to 151.
"In 1985 Mills and Peninsula signed a merger agreement to form Mills-Peninsula Hospitals, and embarked on the planning that would carry their commitment to the best in community health care into the 21st century.
"1996 Peninsula campus became Mills-Peninsula Medical Center and inpatient care was consolidated there. The Mills campus became the Mills Health Center, a comprehensive outpatient care center."
|Dimensions||H-0.875 W-2.55 D-0.25 inches|