|Description||Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce bottle recovered from City Centre Plaza, c. 1840-1920. Bottle has a long neck that tapers out to long cylindrical body. The neck has the distinctive three-part. This bottle shows evidence of early machine manufacture which represent crude wavy glass, multiple small bubbles, and uneven base. Bottle has a long neck that tapers out to long cylindrical body. There is 1.375 inch band of glass just below top rim. A 2 inches long narrow neck flares out 1 inch to a 5 inches cylindrical body.|
|Object Name||Bottle, Condiment|
|Collection||3D - Containers|
|Title||Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce bottle recovered from City Centre Plaza, c. 1840-1920.|
|Creator||Lea & Perrins Company|
|Inscription Text||"LEA & PERRINS" (stamped on the body of bottle vertically); WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE (stamped on the shoulder of bottle horizontally)|
|Provenance||20 boxes of archaeological material excavated from the City Centre Plaza site at 950 Main at Middlefield in Redwood City. Excavation for development, done by Basin Research Associates.|
The club style sauce bottle is a distinctive shape that is closely identified with sauces intended for meats, and in particular, various brands of Worcestershire sauce. The origin of this style was apparently the bottle designed by or for the Lea & Perrins® (L&P) company and which was first reportedly used in the 1840s (Rinker 1968; Rock 2001).
The club sauce bottle style followed the same design exceptionally close across a wide time span, from brand to brand, and in the different though relatively limited sizes that were produced. These bottles are always cylindrical, relatively tall and narrow in cross-section (between 3 to 4 times taller than wide), have parallel vertical body sides and virtually parallel neck sides (usually with a very slight taper towards the base of the finish), the neck/finish combination is about the same height as the body from the heel to the base of the steep shoulder, and are almost always topped with the distinctive three-part club sauce finish, though on occasion it is found with a two-part mineral type finish (Lunn 1981). Earlier club sauce bottles will tend to have some variety to the finish, though bottles from the 1870s on almost always have the "classic" three-part club sauce finish (Switzer 1974; Zumwalt 1980). The earliest L&P bottles were cork sealed, although a large majority of the L&P and competitors bottles were closured with a combination glass stopper & shell cork with a club sauce finish having a cork resting ledge on the inside of the bore. That closure/finish combination was used by L&P until 1958 when a plastic pour spout and external screw thread finish was adopted and is still in use today (Anonymous 1958; Rinker 1968; Zumwalt 1980; Rock 2001).
|Dimensions||H-8.5 W-2.5 D-2.5 inches|
City Center Plaza
Food, Preservation and Storage