|Description||Port of Redwood City Banner, c. 1970-1980. Banner is rectangular in shape, with horizontal edge being the longer edge. Background is red with gold fringe. In center is a circular design. Working from center out: There is a black ship on blue water and in the center of the ship it reads "Port of / Redwood / City" in white text. Around this is a white porthole. Around that is a dark blue border with gold text that reads "Board of Port Commissioners Redwood City, California". The outer edge is a gold triangular border. The two left corners have a gold grommet. The upper edge has a double layer/reinforced layer of red fabric. Circle surrounded with goald zig-zag designe. Entire banner has gold fringe. Displayed at Annual Port Day Lunches 1970-1980.|
|Collection||3D - Documentary Objects|
|Title||Port of Redwood City Banner, c. 1970-1980|
|Inscription Text||"EMERSON FLAG / (415)647-5700 / SAN FRANCISCO" (sewn on label on back of upper left corner)|
Banner was used in Messages from the Millennium: A Community Time Capsul exhibit which opened July 15, 2000.
"The Port of Redwood City is a marine freight terminal on the western side of the southern San Francisco Bay, on the West Coast of the United States. This marine terminal is situated within the city of Redwood City, California. The port was developed from a natural deepwater channel discovered in the year 1850, at the mouth of Redwood Creek. From the early use as a log float port, commercial use expanded to a variety of industrial commodities; moreover, it is considered the birthplace of shipbuilding on the North American west coast. As of 2004, the annual freight shipments have reached about two million metric tons. The Port of Redwood City provides berths for dry bulk, liquid bulk, and project cargoes, along with certain recreational opportunities and public access to San Francisco Bay.
The Port of Redwood City is the only deepwater port in the South San Francisco Bay. Significant expanses of bay mud are present nearby: in Redwood Creek, Westpoint Slough and especially at the mouth of Redwood Creek, where bay muds extend almost two kilometers into San Francisco Bay. In fact, the Port of Redwood City is the only major California port with significant expanses of natural habitat area in its immediate proximity…Robert O. Tripp (founder of the historic Woodside Store) and Mathias A. Parkhurst began the first lumber operation using the waterways of Redwood Creek to float coast redwoods from Woodside to San Francisco in 1850. These two men thus became the founders of Redwood City itself. The Port of Redwood City is considered the place of genesis for the shipbuilding industry on the Pacific West Coast. The first schooner was built here in 1851 by G.M. Burnham and appropriately named Redwood. Shipbuilding thrived here until the 1880s. The last wooden ship built in Redwood City, called the Perseverance, was launched in 1883. The shipbuilding industry experienced a revival in the 1918s with the building of the first concrete ship in America, the SS Faith.
The Port was called El Embarcadero up until at least the 1880s; the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredged of a 7-foot-deep (2.1 m) channel between 1886 and 1889, to yield a channel 50 feet (15 m) wide. In 1903, the Corps increased the channel width to 100 feet (30 m) and by 1911, they broadened it to 150 feet (46 m). In 1931, local and federal interests combined to deepen the channel to 20 feet (6.1 m) and widen it to 200 feet (61 m), for a lineal distance of 13,360 feet (4,070 m).
Local businessmen and civic leaders formed the Redwood City Harbor Company in the year 1912, establishing the name of the Port for the era of the early 20th century. In this period competition from the railroad limited growth of the port. A number of industrial companies, however, saw the value of the Port's location, including the Alaska Codfish Company and the Morgan Oyster Company. In particular the Pacific-Portland Cement Company, moving to the Port in 1924, substantially increased shipping activity. Industrial tenants of the port include Cemex, a cement plant, and Sims Metal Management, a metal recycler. The port area has also grown with non-industrial businesses: Spinnaker Sailing, Sequoia Yacht Club and others within the Portside Business Park." [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Redwood_City 3/22/2017]
|Dimensions||H-51 W-74.5 inches|
Port of Redwood City
Used in Millennium Exhibit
Port of Redwood City