|Description||Victorian Chapel Organ, c. 1890. Walnut pipe organ has Victorian gothic arches, a short cabinet and is finished on the back side.|
|Object Name||Organ, Pipe|
|Collection||3D - Musical Tools & Equipment|
|Title||Victorian Chapel Organ, c. 1890|
|Creator||Miller Organ Company|
|Provenance||Miller Organ company made in Pennsylvania. Purchased by donor in 1961 at a "farm" auction along with other household goods near Moberly Missouri.|
The Miller Organ Company (not to be confused with the Henry F. Miller Company) was established in 1873 by A.H. Miller and A.B. Miller in Lebanon, PA. The firm was known for building very elaborate, high quality organs during the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. In 1903, A.H. Miller took full control of the firm along with his sons Grant L. Miller and H. Ray Miller, and his son in law, J.C. Bergner. The firm then began building pianos due to the decline in the popularity of the organ and the name of the firm to The Miller Piano & Organ Company. There is no mention of the firm after World War 1, indicating that they went out of business very early in the 20th Century.
Designed for institutional and church use, the Chapel Organ was basically the same instrument as the parlor organ. The major difference was in the cabinet. First, the cabinet was usually short so that the organist could see over it to face the choir or congregation. Second, the back of the instrument was usually finished with beautifully carved woodwork or fretwork in case the instrument was to be placed with the back facing the choir or congregation. Often, the more elaborate versions had a greater musical quality than the typical parlor organs built for the home.
|Dimensions||H-57 W-48 D-25 inches|
Organs - Pipe