|Description||Mills Memorial Hospital Matchbook, c. 1964-1966. Light blue paper matchbook containing cardboard matches with blue tips. Matches held in place within a paper sleeve by a metal staple. Back side of matches has blue text that reads, "MILLS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL / SAN MATEO / CALIFORNIA". Front of matchbook has the brown-gray strike plate at the bottom and the Mills Hospital logo on the flap. Logo is in the shape of a shield with a cross on top with alternating light and dark blue squares. On the four squares, respectively, are the letters "M" "M" "H" and the symbol for medicine. Printed on the folded edge just below the strike plate is, "Universal Match Corp., San Francisco."|
|Collection||3D - Tempurature Control Equipment|
|Title||Mills Memorial Hospital Matchbook, c. 1964-1966|
|Creator||Universal Match Corp., San Francisco|
|Inscription Text||"MILLS / MEMORIAL / HOSPITAL / SAN MATEO / CALIFORNIA" (printed in blue on back); "Universal Match Corp., San Francisco" (printed in blue on small fold); log with letters "M", "M" and "H" and "Close Cover Before Striking" (printed in blue on front flap)|
|Provenance||These matches, along with cigarettes, were sold in the gift shop of Mills Memorial Hospital in San Mateo.|
"Universal changed its name to UMC Industries,
Inc. in 1966, as by then the very successful
comppany had sspread out to become a multifacetted
conglomerate. Eventually, the company
was sold to Swedish Match AB of Stockholm in
1981, and the resulting entity became Universal
Match Corp (again)."
"Recognizing the need, heiress and philanthropist Elisabeth Mills Reid – with the rector of the Episcopal Church of St. Matthew, Rev. Neptune Blood William Gallwey, and an ambitious young doctor named W.C. Chidester – pledged funds to build and operate on the Church of St. Matthew property an emergency medical facility that would also house a parish nurse.
"In the mid-1910's, Mrs. Reid was convinced by the Board of Directors that the name of the hospital should be changed to Mills Memorial Hospital, although Mrs. Reid saw to it that Church of St. Matthew preceded the new name.
"1950 Mills Hospital was again expanded, this time with the addition of the West Wing, bringing the total number of beds to 151.
"In 1985 Mills and Peninsula signed a merger agreement to form Mills-Peninsula Hospitals, and embarked on the planning that would carry their commitment to the best in community health care into the 21st century.
"1996 Peninsula campus became Mills-Peninsula Medical Center and inpatient care was consolidated there. The Mills campus became the Mills Health Center, a comprehensive outpatient care center."
|Dimensions||H-2 W-1.5 D-0.75 inches|
|Dimension Details||With front loose from flap.|