Spirits Bottle Recovered from City Centre Plaza, c. 1860-1920. This bottle is union oval type flask with rounded sides in cross section which has narrowed slightly from shoulder to the base. The rim has double ring finish and a bulging ring forming at the near of the neck base. A .5 inch short and narrow neck flares out 1.5 inches shoulders to a 3.5 inch oval flasks shaped body. The bottle is clear glass and shows evidence of glass machine manufacture.
|Object Name||Bottle, Spirits|
|Collection||3D - Containers|
|Title||Spirits Bottle Recovered from City Centre Plaza, c. 1860-1920.|
|Provenance||20 boxes of archaeological material excavated from the City Centre Plaza site at 950 Main at Middlefield in Redwood City. Excavation for development, done by Basin Research Associates.|
Flasks of widely varying shapes and sizes were a very common container for spirits of all kinds, originating in the need for a traveling bottle. A flask is a bottle originally designed to be portable and easy to carry, which is typically oval to a rounded rectangle in cross-section, and laterally compressed on two sides. Flasks are most often associated with varying types of spirits, though they were used for some other liquid products like medicines and bitters (Jones & Sullivan 1989, Ring & Ham 1998, empirical observations).
[http://www.sha.org/bottle/liquor.htm#Flasks (not considered figured)]
|Dimensions||H-6.125 W-2.375 D-1.25 inches|
City Center Plaza