Museum Homepage

The San Mateo County Historical Association
Online Collections Database

The mission of the San Mateo County Historical Association is to inspire wonder and discovery
of the cultural and natural history of San Mateo County.

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1987.051
Description Levy Bros Centennial Scarf, 1972. Silk rayon blend scarf is white with blue and red print. Center has an oval emblem that reads "A CENTURY OF SERVICE / LEVY BROS / 1972-1972 / A FAMILY TRADITION." Border along outer edge consists of a 1 1/4" blue band surrounded by a thin blue band and a thicker red band on either side. White ground has stylized fleur-de-lis motif in alternating red and blue.
Object Name Scarf
Collection 3D - Clothing
Title Levy Bros Centennial Scarf, 1972
Date 1972
Creator Vera
Role Fiber Artist
Inscription Text "A CENTURY OF SERVICE / LEVY BROS / 1972-1972 / A FAMILY TRADITION" (printed on front center); "Vera (c)" (makers mark in front bottom left corner); "(c) scarves by Vera / 60% rayon 40% silk / made in Japan" (tag in corner)
Provenance
Notes "Levy Brothers, one of the most successful business operations on the Peninsula for over 100 years, closed its doors in 1986.

The store had been founded by French-speaking Jewish immigrants who migrated to this area from Alsace and are no relation to the author.

Alsace is a province sandwiched between France and Germany along the Rhine. For centuries the two large countries had argued over possession of this land. Alsace was culturally French when the treaty ending the Franco-Prussian War in 1871 ceded it once again to Germany. In 1872, Fernand and Joseph Levy, sons of a wealthy merchant in Alsace, arrived in Half Moon Bay. Some say the young men had fled conscription into the military.

The Levy brothers rented a space and bought out a general store, carrying everything from groceries to farm equipment. They operated the post office and the Wells Fargo Express Agency. They routinely offered to extend credit to their customers. In 1877, their brother Adrien joined them, and another brother, Armand arrived in 1882. In time they all married. Three of the brothers married sisters from the old country.

In 1879, they expanded by opening a branch in San Gregorio. Fernand took over that operation, acting as postmaster and saloonkeeper. Later Adrien replaced him. Joseph moved his family to Pescadero and opened another branch there. He offered door to door sales to the rural community. He would visit the various farms on horseback, taking along goods on pack animals. The three stores were linked by telegraph, so orders could be filled within 24 hours from the stock at any location.

Armand opened cheese factories near the three towns, supplying them from a herd of 600 cows. In 1891, the brothers opened a lumber mill near Pescadero. They also owned hundreds of acres of land and operated the first Coastside telephone exchange. By now they were the leading merchants on the coast.

Around the turn of the century, they sold their holdings and moved over the hill to open a large general store in San Mateo. This coincided with the time the oldest of their children were ready for high school.

There was no high school at that time on the Coastside. They continued their pattern of modernization and expansion in business. In 1910 they bought their first delivery truck. Telephone orders became common, especially among their more elite clientele.

In 1916, the Levy Brothers opened Buick dealerships in San Mateo and Burlingame. John Bromfield joined the firm in 1920, as Edmund Levy was the only son of the family then active in management. After Edmund's death in 1933, operations of the business were handled by Bromfield, and the remaining members of the Levy family sat on the board of directors. Bromfield's son Geoffrey followed his father into business with Levy Bros. In 1952, the Levys moved their San Mateo store from Third Avenue to larger quarters at Fourth and Ellsworth avenues. It was equipped with San Mateo's first escalator. For the first time since opening in 1872, Levy Bros. had no grocery or hardware departments.

Finally, in 1986, Levy Bros. stores went out of business. It was reported that the cause was unsuccessful expansion. At the height of its operation, there were branches again in Half Moon Bay, Burlingame, South San Francisco, Redwood City, Foster City and Vacaville."
[http://archives.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=25590 3/21/2017]

Dimensions H-26 W-26 inches
Medium Textile
Search Terms Scarf
Women's Fashion
Levy Bros.
Levy Brothers
Subjects Clothing & dress
Scarf