Medicine Bottle recovered from City Centre Plaza, c. 1870-1920. This bottle is square shaped in cross section and it has narrowed slightly from shoulder to base. The rim has prescription finish which is narrow (vertically) and the outside surface distinctly tapers in from the top surface of the finish to bottom. A .625 inch short and narrow neck flares out .5 inch shoulder to a 4 inch body. A banner that outlines the name "G.G.Burnett Apothecary 327 Montgomery Street S.F." impressed in the front of bottle. The base is shaped like square; the bottom of the bottle is embossed with the initials "Mc C". The bottle is clear and shows evidence of glass machine manufacture.
|Object Name||Bottle, Medicine|
|Collection||3D - Medical & Psychological Tools & Equipment|
|Title||Medicine Bottle recovered from City Centre Plaza, c. 1870-1920.|
|Inscription Text||"G.G.BURNETT / APOTHECARY / 327 MONTGOMERY ST / S.F." (embossed on side)|
|Provenance||20 boxes of archaeological material excavated from the City Centre Plaza site at 950 Main at Middlefield in Redwood City. Excavation for development, done by Basin Research Associates.|
Square druggist bottles (in cross section), with and without proprietary embossing, were a relatively commonly used shape ordered and used by many local druggists and drug stores during the mid 19th century until well into the 20th century. Like with the round druggist bottles, the square types seemed to have been less popular than the other general shapes covered next (rectangular and oval). Square bottles were used no more than maybe 5% of the time during the heyday of the mouth-blown prescription bottle which began in earnest in the 1870s and lasted until well into the 1920s (Preble 2002; empirical observations). The most common type of square prescription bottle was widely known as the "French square" (Whitall Tatum 1880, 1924; Illinois Glass Co. 1903; Obear-Nester 1922).
|Dimensions||H-4 W-1.5 D-1.5 inches|
City Center Plaza