|Description||"Rydal Hall" Cannon, c. 1760-1850. Solid iron. Canon is wider at one end and tapers down to opening. There are two "arms" on sides and another at the wide end.|
|Collection||3D - Armaments|
|Title||"Rydal Hall" Cannon, c. 1760-1850|
|Provenance||Recovered from the shipwreck "Rydal Hall" which wrecked off Pillar Point in 1876.|
[The cannon] appears to be a type in use on small ships c. 1760-1850, a nine-pounder type fired by means of linstock. It is similar to a 'carronade;' a carronade's trunions are mounted lower. This type of small iron cannon was commonly mounted on both commercial and military vessels, oftentimes for salute purposes. This weapon was originally mounted on a wooden Naval carriage with four small wood wheels strapped or banded in iron.
[According to J. Edward Green, Curator of Collections at the Precidio Army Museum in a letter dated June 16, 1975:]
"'Intelligence reached us yesterday of the loss of the British ship Rydal Hall at the whaling station near Spanishtown (Half Moon Bay). She went ashore on the 17th instant. late in the evening, and the latest news received states that she will be a total loss. Unfortunately, nine men were lost by the disaster, and at last accounts, the Captain was still on board. She was bound from Cardiff for this port with a load of coal, and was a fine iron ship of over 1800 tons, built at Liverpool in 1874, and was owned by the Sun Shipping Company of Liverpool, and she will be a heavy loss on the Underwriters, as she is fully insured..."
"Recently, abalone diver and artifact hunter extraordinaire John Koepf resurfaced with tales of the ill-fated Rydal Hall. More than 40 years ago, he discovered the ship’s sunken hulk quite by accident while poking around a Coastside reef...
After raising another anchor and a thousand pound deck cannon in 1972, they also recovered the ship’s bell."
|Dimensions||H-11 W-56 D-16 inches|
Half Moon Bay
Rydall Hall (Ship)