Museum Homepage

The San Mateo County Historical Association
Online Collections Database

The mission of the San Mateo County Historical Association is to inspire wonder and discovery
of the cultural and natural history of San Mateo County.

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2013.007.002B
Description Raymond L. Marshall Bethlehem Steel Badge, n.d. (uncle louie's wife's nephew raised by Uncle Loui and Mary). Flat circular frame with plastic circle covering yellow paper with photo and text. Circular frame has engraved text. Back of circular frame has pin and clasp.
Object Name Badge, Identification
Collection 3D - Personal Symbols
Title Raymond L. Marshall Bethlehem Steel Badge, n.d.
Date c. 1947
Creator Patrick & Moise-Klinker Company, San Francisco
Role Manufacturer
Inscription Text "BETHLEHEM STEEL CO. / SAN FRANCISCO YARD" (Engraved in steel circular frame); "Badge No. 202 / VEN HTC" (Printed on paper in badge); "Ray / L. / Marshall" (Printed on paper on back of badge); "PATRICK AND M.K. CO. / SAN FRANCISCO" (Engraved on back of metal frame)
Provenance Raymond L. Marshall was donor's Uncle Louie's wife's nephew raised by Uncle Loui and Mary.
Notes "Bethlehem San Francisco was founded as Union Brass & Iron Works in 1849, by Peter Donahue, one of San Francisco’s three Donahue brothers, who were known as the “iron men”. It was sold to Bethlehem Steel in 1906 but continued to use the Union Iron Works name until 1917, after Bethlehem acquired Quincy, Sparrows Point and a number of smaller yards, and standardized the yard names and the hull numbering system. The San Francisco shipyard was expanded in 1911 by the acquisition of the adjoining Risdon Iron Works, which had built locomotives, and this facility was used in World War I for destroyer construction. The yard remained in continuous operation throughout the inter-war years and was the only major shipbuilder on the West Coast prior to World War II." [http://bethlehemshipyardmuseum.org/learning-center/shipbuilding-history-of-pier-70/]

"It was in the 1930’s that Howard Patrick took over the reigns as the second-generation leader of Patrick & Co. He purchased Moise-Klinker Company in the thirties and had worked in all the areas of the business; selling, marketing, producing, delivering and managing. In 1950 the Patrick & Moise-Klinker Company's name was changed to just Patrick& Co." [http://www.patrickandco.com/storefront/about-us-cp-34]
Dimensions H-2.125 W-2.125 D-0.5 inches
Search Terms Bethlehem Steel
Patrick & Moise-Klinker Company, San Francisco
Piers
San Francisco
Steel Industry
Subjects Piers & wharves
San Francisco
Steel
Steel industry
People Marshall, Raymond L.