|Description||c. 1914 Edison Blue Amberol Cylinder "Fourth of July Patrol (with chorus) Band" [New York Military Band] is cylindrical in shape with a hollow center, made of celluloid plastic, and is blue in color. The outer edges (1/2" each end) are smooth, while the center of the cylinder is rough/ridged. The song title is written on one end. The inside is lined with plaster of paris and is ribbed.|
|Object Name||Phonograph, Cylinder|
|Collection||3D - Sound Communication Tools & Equipment|
|Title||Edison Blue Amberol Cylinder- Fourth of July Patrol|
|Date||c. 1914 to late 1920s|
|Creator||Thomas A. Edison, Inc.|
|Creator||New York Military Band (with Chorus)|
|Inscription Text||"FOURTH OF JULY PATROL (WITH CHORUS). BAND. THOMAS A EDISON PAT'D...4 2325" (written in white around edge of one cylinder edge)|
|Provenance||Items from the estate of Edmond Marchais who spent almost all of his 93 year life in Menlo Park. He worked in a machine shop in Redwood City. The phonograph player and cylinders were from his Menlo Park childhood home when he lived with his father (French) and mother (French-Italian) Maurice and Emily Marchais.|
5 pages of notes/research on phonographs was located with phonograph. They are now stored in Curator's Accession Files.
Beginning in 1912 Edison began to make Blue Amberol celluloid cylinders to replace wax cylinders which broke more easily. They were made of celluloid and had plaster of paris inside. Edison manufactured these until the late 1920s.
(4/23/2014): "Fourth of July Patrol" was released in 1914. MP3 recording is available online at: http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?queryType=@attr 1=1016&query=fourth+of+july+patrol&num=1&start=1&sortBy=&sortOrder=id
|Dimensions||H-4.125 W-2.25 D-2.25 inches|
New York Military Band