Museum Homepage

The San Mateo County Historical Association
Online Collections Database

The mission of the San Mateo County Historical Association is to inspire wonder and discovery
of the cultural and natural history of San Mateo County.

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2017.011.001B
Description Mills Memorial Hospital Matchbook, c. 1964-1966. Light blue paper matchbook containing cardboard matches with blue tips. Matches held in place within a paper sleeve by a metal staple. Back side of matches has blue text that reads, "MILLS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL / SAN MATEO / CALIFORNIA". Front of matchbook has the brown-gray strike plate at the bottom and the Mills Hospital logo on the flap. Logo is in the shape of a shield with a cross on top with alternating light and dark blue squares. On the four squares, respectively, are the letters "M" "M" "H" and the symbol for medicine. Printed on the folded edge just below the strike plate is, "Universal Match Corp., San Francisco."
Object Name Matchbook
Collection 3D - Tempurature Control Equipment
Title Mills Memorial Hospital Matchbook, c. 1964-1966
Date c. 1964-1966
Creator Universal Match Corp., San Francisco
Role Manufacturer
Inscription Text "MILLS / MEMORIAL / HOSPITAL / SAN MATEO / CALIFORNIA" (printed in blue on back); "Universal Match Corp., San Francisco" (printed in blue on small fold); log with letters "M", "M" and "H" and "Close Cover Before Striking" (printed in blue on front flap)
Provenance These matches, along with cigarettes, were sold in the gift shop of Mills Memorial Hospital in San Mateo.
Notes "Universal changed its name to UMC Industries,
Inc. in 1966, as by then the very successful
comppany had sspread out to become a multifacetted
conglomerate. Eventually, the company
was sold to Swedish Match AB of Stockholm in
1981, and the resulting entity became Universal
Match Corp (again)."
[ 06/19/2017]

"Recognizing the need, heiress and philanthropist Elisabeth Mills Reid – with the rector of the Episcopal Church of St. Matthew, Rev. Neptune Blood William Gallwey, and an ambitious young doctor named W.C. Chidester – pledged funds to build and operate on the Church of St. Matthew property an emergency medical facility that would also house a parish nurse.

"In the mid-1910's, Mrs. Reid was convinced by the Board of Directors that the name of the hospital should be changed to Mills Memorial Hospital, although Mrs. Reid saw to it that Church of St. Matthew preceded the new name.

"1950 Mills Hospital was again expanded, this time with the addition of the West Wing, bringing the total number of beds to 151.

"In 1985 Mills and Peninsula signed a merger agreement to form Mills-Peninsula Hospitals, and embarked on the planning that would carry their commitment to the best in community health care into the 21st century.

"1996 Peninsula campus became Mills-Peninsula Medical Center and inpatient care was consolidated there. The Mills campus became the Mills Health Center, a comprehensive outpatient care center."
[ 06/19/2017]
Dimensions H-2 W-1.5 D-0.75 inches
Dimension Details With front loose from flap.
Search Terms Match
Mills Hospital
Subjects Hospitals