Radiation Observation Window, c. 1957-1999. Observation window used in an electron beam facility at the Raychem Corporation and later Tyco Electronics (Raychem was purchased by Tyco International in 1999). The window is a circular pane of glass that is 1" thick and that has a diameter of 28". It is set within a painted iron casing that is 0.625" thick and has a diameter of 29 inches. The overall weight of glass and casing is approximately 60 pounds.
The window was part of a "Beam Cell," a protective room with thick concrete walls that shielded operators from radiation. Two windows would be fastened on either side of a wall, with the space between filled with de-ionized water. This window was installed in the "Beam 1" area. "Beam 1" was the first electron beam accelerator ever put into commercial use and continued to be in operation through 2016.
|Collection||3D - Building Components|
|Title||Radiation Observation Window, c. 1957-1999|
|Provenance||Raychem originated in Redwood City at 501 Oakside/Northside and was founded by Paul M. Cook. The wire cable plant remained in Redwood City, but the corporate headquarters relocated to Menlo Park. The company was sold to Tyco in 1999. This sign was used in the area of "Beam One" while it was in operation through 2016.|
|Dimensions||H-29 W-29 D-1.625 Dia-29 inches|
Overall dimensions, glass in metal casing: 29" x 29" x 1.625
Glass pane: 28" x 28" x 1"
Business and Industry
Tyco International Ltd.